November is Military Family Awareness Month. It is a month of recognition and celebration of “the force” behind the force – the husbands and wives, parents and children, sisters and brothers of our nation’s armed forces. Their duties and sacrifices often go unnoticed by those in the civilian world. Multiple deployments and frequent moves are just a few of the daily challenges they experience to keep our nation safe and secure.
Looking for a way to show your gratitude to those in the armed forces and their families? Below are just a few ways to increase awareness and provide support to military families in your community:
- Donate a Thanksgiving gift to junior-enlisted members and their families through the USO-Metro’s Turkeys for Troops!
- Create a Spouse or Service Member Care Package with items that would help either ease stress during a deployment.
- Adopt-a-Soldier for the Holidays.
- Create a spouse care package for them to enjoy and help reduce stress during training, deployment, and PCS moves and relocations.
- Thank an Active-Duty Member, Veteran, Military Spouse, or Military Child for their service.
- Visit war memorials with your family to teach your children the value of service.
- Fly the U.S. Flag.
- Adopt a military family for the holidays by sponsoring a Food Basket or Toys for junior enlisted military families through the ASYMCA’s Operation Holiday Joy.
- Offer a military neighbor a bit of respite with volunteer childcare to get errands accomplished or even just to enjoy a few hours to recharge.
- See someone in uniform? Thank them for their service or surprise them with a free coffee, dessert or drink if they are in line behind you.
- Make a donation or volunteer with a military assistance organization like the Armed Services YMCA.
If you are a family member of a loved one in the armed forces and are looking for a little emotional support over the holiday season, contact a counselor through Employee & Family Resources’ EAP benefit. Licensed counselors provide 24/7 phone support and face-to-face appointments nationwide, at locations convenient to employees’ work and homes. All employees and their household members are covered through our full-service EAP. Contact us today!