We Can Help
Since 1980, EFR's Substance Abuse Services have provided substance abuse assessment, referral, and related services to a wide range of adult and juvenile clients.
We can help if:
- You are concerned about your drinking or drug use
- Your teenager has gotten in trouble with the law or at school because of drugs or alcohol
- Your doctor or other health care professional recommended you talk with someone about your drinking
- You are facing an OWI or other substance-related legal charge and have been court-ordered to complete a substance abuse assessment
- You need a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) evaluation due to a Federal DOT violation
EFR offers private, one-hour assessments by certified substance abuse counselors. Most fees are based on a sliding fee scale and an individual's ability to pay. With your permission and when appropriate, significant others and/or family members are invited to participate in the assessment. All information shared during the assessment is confidential and EFR strictly adheres to Federal and State laws regarding the confidentiality of substance abuse information.
EFR has contracted with the State of Iowa to provide independent substance abuse assessment and referral programming within Polk County for more than three decades to individuals, families, the courts, and correctional services.
Drug and Alcohol Evaluation and Referral Services For Individuals
Do you need a drug or alcohol evaluation due to an OWI or another legal charge? Has your doctor encouraged you to cut down on your drinking? Are you concerned about your drinking or drug use? If so, we can help.
Walk-in evaluation hours (No Appointment Needed):
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Opportunities to schedule same day appointments:
Monday-Friday: Noon - Close
*Each assessment will take approximately 1 hour and are provided at:
Employee & Family Resources
Insurance Exchange Building
505 Fifth Ave, 6th Floor
Des Moines, IA
Cost (due at time of evaluation)
- Most fees are based on a sliding fee scale and an individual’s ability to pay ($25-$115)
- Accept Medicaid
- $125 OWI Evaluation
- Out of State OWI Evaluation (pricing varies)
- DOT/SAP Evaluation
*We accept cash, credit card, debit card
Be prepared to bring:
- Photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, etc.)
- All contact information including name, phone number, fax numbers for attorneys, probation officer, social workers, etc.
- Criminal Case Number, if applicable
- Proof of income (most recent pay stub, last year's taxes, Wage Verification Form "White Sheet" from Workforce Development, etc.)
Who can attend appointment:
With your permission and when appropriate, significant others and/or family members may participate in the assessment. All information shared during the assessment is confidential and EFR strictly adheres to Federal and State laws regarding the confidentiality of substance abuse information.
Your counselor will discuss referrals to substance abuse treatment and/or other services that would be helpful to you, based on your individual circumstances and needs. These referrals take into account your ability to pay and insurance status as appropriate.